Effective return management and a seamless checkout process are crucial for the success of any ecommerce business in India.
- 7 out of 10 shoppers abandon their carts before completing the checkout
- 28% abandon their carts due to a complicated checkout experience
- 78% expect a fast and easy checkout process, while 47% of want it to take than 1 minute
- The ecommerce returns rate in India is estimated to be 30-40% on average
- The cost of reverse logistics, which includes shipping, handling, and processing of returns, is estimated to be around 8-10% of the total e-commerce revenue in India
- By offering hassle-free returns and refunds, ecommerce companies can improve customer satisfaction and loyalty rates by 30-35%
The checkout process is the final step in the purchase journey.
- User-friendly design: The checkout page should be easy to navigate and use, with clear instructions and minimal distractions.
- Multiple payment options: Offer multiple payment options to customers, including credit/debit cards, net banking, mobile wallets, and cash on delivery.
- Secure payment processing: Use a secure payment gateway to ensure that customer payment information is protected.
- Mobile responsiveness: With a significant percentage of ecommerce traffic coming from mobile devices, it's important that your checkout process is optimised for mobile users.
The Return/Refunds/Exchanges stage is the final step in the customer experience journey.
- Automated system: For immediate action instead of manual involvement in the fast moving ecommerce world.
- Easy returns process: Make it easy for customers to initiate returns. This could involve providing a prepaid return label or allowing customers to initiate returns through your website.
- Timely refunds: Ensure that refunds are processed promptly once products are returned. This helps build trust with customers and encourages them to make future purchases.
When both are handled by a single entity, the perks offered come in 2’s
- Data, and
The compiled data from customers on every checkout and the corresponding return rate and reason helps brands understand
- The interest behind the purchase, and whether the return was due to false promises or other factors
Optimisation of your checkout in terms of upselling and cross selling, or improving returns and the efficacy of its automation - all take place parallelly.
Meaning, you understand your clique by understanding individual customer journey in both “Checkout Experience” and “Return Experience”
[Note: Pragma optimises performance with the help of data from 450+ brands]
To Wrap it Up,
A well-designed return management system and a seamless checkout process are crucial for the success of any ecommerce business in India. By prioritising these elements, you can build trust with customers and encourage repeat business.